Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Show & Tell v. 8.01

Comet Lovejoy over Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park (c) John Ashley
"Silent Night." Comet Lovejoy over Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park
"Wow, these are phenomenal," he gushed. "If I brought you my cameras, how much would you charge to teach me how to use them?"  "Well," I paused, "It depends. How smart are you?" "Well, not that smart," he offered. "Then I'll have to charge you extra."

"Boy, you just have to be in the right place at the right time, doncha'?" Yep, that's all it takes lady. That, plus the months and years of planning and effort to be in the right place at the right time. Oh, and a wee bit of skill with a camera helps, too. That, and thick skin when people confuse all of your skill and work with a little bit of luck.

He said, "This is spectacular work." She said, "And he's not just being sarcastic." I briefly considered trading a print for his t-shirt, which read, "National Sarcasm Society. Like We Need Your Support."

"I've been coming to this show (Sweet Pea, Bozeman, MT) for 20 years, and you have the best photography I've ever seen." Wow. Thanks.

Seven-year-old girl, "What is that a picture of?" "It's the moon during a lunar eclipse," I explained. "Were you in outer space when you took that?"  "No," I said, sadly, "I had to stay on Earth. It's much easier to breath here."


"I work at (local photography supply house) and I see so much photography that I usually just walk right past," she explained. "But your's is different from the rest." "How so," I asked. "You're not just a guy playing with a digital camera. You have an eye. You're an artist."

No comments:

Post a Comment