Thursday, July 10, 2014

A Bigger Flashlight

Under a midnight Milky Way, the headlight beam from a westbound train paints the foothills
framing Mount St. Nicholas, along the southern edge of Glacier National Park. 
For three of my first light painting photographs, back in the late 1970's, I used a flashlight to paint a small Big Bend cave, a Vivitar 283 strobe (still have that old guy) to paint a new house and yard at night, and three lightning bolts in a central Florida thunderstorm at midnight to create a ghostly self-portrait.

For my most recent light painting, a couple of months ago, I used a bigger light - the headlight on a train. In "Midnight Train," a westbound train was winding its way along the valley floor, from camera right to left, while I shot sets of 14 images to stitch together later. When the headlight swept across the foothills, I thought, "Dang, there goes that set." Then I reconsidered. I like it. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment