Thursday, May 3, 2012

My Curvaceous Centerfold

My curvalicious centerfold in the current issue of "Montana Outdoors"
I've published in an odd assortment of magazines (long story there) and even had a few covers. But the May/June issue of "Montana Outdoors" is a first for me -- my very first centerfold. My model is reknowned for her well-endowed, um, toes. She's a voluptious and curvy, long-toed salamander, printed at about 10X larger than life. You gotta' admit, she gets your attention when you turn the page.

Which is funny to me because, for the last 25 years I have been pushing for more attention and research for the so-called "non-game" species. In 1987 I was a green undergraduate in the Wildlife Biology program when the University of Montana changed from quarters to semisters. I wrote a letter to the program director urging the department to use the transition to increase classes in ecology and non-game species, and to reduce the heavy emphasis on deer and elk. I wanted to learn conservation management of all native species, not just produce targets for hunters.

My letter had absolutely zero effect on the program (but the director and I became good hang gliding buddies anyway). I graduated with a non-traditional emphasis in natural history. And now, two and a half decades later, I score one for the animals that are still mostly unseen and unknown. Go team!

1 comment: