Thursday, October 16, 2014

How Creativity Can "Kill the Artist"


Got 20 minutes to kill? I'm not a mystical person by any stretch, but I stumbled upon this talk that makes total sense to me, and it suggests that we give external credit for the creativity that most artists claim as their own - not for faith's sake, but for sanity's sake. As a person who has slogged to work every day for 30-some years in a job that entails trying to capture a few infrequently-passing "Ole! moments," I understand Ms. Gilbert.

What I don't understand is why some people heap praise on me for some "natural moment" that I managed to capture. Conversely, I never quite understand how others can look at these exquisite moments and not feel the least bit moved. I'm happily confused and stuck in a blue-collar position where "my" creativity might well have peaked (who knows?) back when I was nineteen years old. I still get up and go to work, and I'm still (mostly) sane. What is it that you enjoy creating?

"In the end, a person doesn’t view his life as merely the average of its moments—which, after all, is mostly nothing much, plus some sleep. Life is meaningful because it is a story, and a story’s arc is determined by the moments when something happens." 
(Atul Gawande)

No comments:

Post a Comment