Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Canon's New Sensor Sees in the Dark

Image samples from Canon's new sensor
Top to bottom: stars, candlelight, moonlight
I know, I know. I'm waaaayyyy behind here, but I hope to start catching up after this weekend's "Made in Montana" wholesale show.

Meanwhile, here's a recent press release (with short video) that pretty much blows my mind. Now that I have many thousands invested in Nikon bodies and aspherical lenses for nighttime astrophotography, Canon drops this bombshell into my little world.

Canon has developed a new low-noise CMOS sensor that sees in the dark and blows Nikon (and Canon's) current top-of-the-line DSLR bodies out of the water. Canon says they're developing this new sensor for HD video, and it looks like they are aiming for the security camera market. But sooner or later, this new technology is sure to find its way into DSLR cameras. When that happens, look out. Our small but growing astrophotography world will be turned upside down.

I hope Nikon is paying attention, maybe even conducting a little corporate espionage. I'd hate to face my Canon friends if I have to divorce Nikon after 30+ years.

No comments:

Post a Comment