Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Photography Workshop 101

“The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.”
(Dorothea Lange)

Out standing in his field...Summer. Been there, survived that.

I suspect that I have a deleterious gene that makes me line up 34 hours worth of work for every 24-hour day. In the middle of our crazy summer show schedule, I snuck in a photography workshop as a fundraiser for the MT Horse Sanctuary, and a little one-on-one mentoring as well.

I've been reluctant to teach too much photography for a couple of reasons. First, I don't want others' images to start looking like mine. I work hard at being an anomaly. Second, it seems like most photography instructors in these parts are pretty mediocre with a camera, and they took up teaching so they could talk about themselves and their own pictures. At least, that's what I've been told by some of the students. I don't like talking about myself.

But then something strange happened - I turned 50. I know, surprised the heck out of me, too. I never expected to reach 30 so I did all the fun stuff early on, and my last 20 years or so have been sorta' unplanned. But the big day reminded me that I don't have many days or years left. What do I want to finish before I kick off, what will I leave behind, and would my time here have any positive effects on anyone? Deep thoughts, but way less expensive than a midlife crisis convertible.

So I taught the class and, what do you know, it was almost more fun than this 50-yr-old could handle. I had to take a long nap the next day.

Some of my students sent critiques to the Horse Sanctuary, and to a person they all had kind things to say about the workshop. So I'll join the other local instructors and toot my own horn for a moment. Then I'll drink my afternoon Boost and take another nap.

Student photos and comments:

Essence of Dancer (c) 2012
Inquisitive Zoe (c) 2012"Loved it! Very relaxed and relatable. By far one of the most pleasant workshops I've been to in years!"
 
"I thought his style was a perfect blend of real information given in a casual, non-intimidating manner.  Despite his tremendous talent and skill, John has a humble demeanor and seems genuinely interested in his workshop participants ability to express themselves photographically." 

"Johns simplified explanation of the ISO/Shutter Speed/Aperture relationship, and the Histogram explanation relieved some of my frustration issues I have had with those parts."

"The class was very useful and I really learned a lot of great information ...I would love to take another photography class. John did a very good job."

Issac at fence (c) 2012


Thanks to all of the students who signed up. If you might be interested in future workshops or mentoring, drop me an email. 

No comments:

Post a Comment