Sunday, August 29, 2010

World on Fire

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion." (The Dalai Lama)

Ladies and gentlemen, Ms. Sarah McLachlan.

One of my all-time, all-around favorite artists. And not just because she's Canadian or because she's so darned beautiful -- though neither attribute hurts. Sarah sings, she dances, she even draws quite well. But it's her lyrics that draw me in. Her songwriting is superb, and her music videos are polished and mesmerizing. And, in the unusual, unpolished video below, she uses words to make a sharp point about our first-world priorities. (Try to ignore the first-world commercials that might appear.)


Instead of spending $150,000 on the video, she spent $15 on it and donated the $150,000 to humanitarian causes. Just a little something to give me pause when I find myself coveting the newest, next-best-thing Nikon produces. (But then, you probably already know about my soft spot for good causes...)

So, what can you and I do ?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment